Empowering Bystanders, Empowering Schools: Strategies to Enhance Bullying Prevention and Respect for Diversity
This session is a Menu B course option for the WVCPD Teacher Academy and is open to all teachers. This engaging, fast-paced workshop will explore the dynamics of bullying with an emphasis on supporting the victims and bystanders.
Discussion topics and strategies include assertion techniques & other social-emotional skills, adult roles & responsibilities, enhancing diversity, and creating safe space. Many educators, parents and youth alike misunderstand bullying and bullying dynamics, relying on old myths and stereotypes. We’ve often given our sons and daughters, students, or clients misguided advice regarding how best to deal with it. In addition, we often base our knowledge of bullying on information we’ve acquired from movies, literature and generally held beliefs. Thankfully, information and skills derived from research offer a foundation for much-improved strategies to create safe space and support the majority of our students who are either bystanders or victims.
This session will, through a variety of facilitation techniques, (small group activities, scenario work, video reaction, large group problem solving, etc.) provide a solid and practical foundation for adults and students alike to be UPSTANDERS, creating safe and supportive relationships in their school buildings.
• To overview the principles of violence prevention, diversity education, and the bullying dynamic
• To define behaviors associated with the bully, target, bystander and the upstander
• To learn and practice intervention strategies that reinforce a respect for diversity
• To learn and practice prevention/intervention strategies that empower children who are targeted or who are bystanders
• To prepare and work toward implementing an action plan that will assist schools in enhancing their school climate and creating safe space
Your space will not be guaranteed until payment for the session or purchase order number is received.